Changing habits = the new resolutions
Before we get to the list, who wants join in and do this with me? Motivation makes us all better. Make your own list or follow the suggestions below. Either comment on this post, or on my Facebook post. (Click on the date.)
So, new year’s stuff. I don’t do resolutions. Not in the old fashioned sense anyway. Screw that List Of Impractical…
But how to change a habit, I hear you ask? Well, Leo offers us this explanation:
- Choose a trigger for your habit – something already in your routine that will immediately precede the habit. Examples: eating breakfast, brushing your teeth, showering, waking up, arriving at the office, leaving the office, getting home in the evening.
- Do the 1st, really easy baby step for one week, right after the trigger. Post your progress publicly.
- Each week, move on to a slightly harder step. You’ll want to progress faster, but don’t. You’re building a new habit.
- Repeat this until you’ve worked through your list of habits.
- Read the longer version here.
Here are the 12 changes I’m going to make for 2017, one for each month. Do them with me, shuffle them around or make your own list. Now, Leo does also offer a premium service called Sea Change, but I can’t rightly afford that at this stage, so I’ll be doing my own research.
I’ll read up about each topic, break the one habit down into 4 smaller, more manageable parts, and attempt one part each week.
- Create Deliberately – Screw being blocked. Lets make good art.
- Wake Early – Might as well get this done before winter starts.
- Exercise & Health – I’m unfit as fuck, so yeah. This goes without saying.
- Revisit my Zero Waste Journey – Follow No Harm No Waste on Facebook.
- All-Day Mindfulness – I’m not mindful at all. Life is passing me by.
- Unprocrastination – Procrastinator of note here. I even have trophies.
- De-clutter – Collector of note here. More trophies. I even hoard stuff in Skyrim…
- Meditation – I fail at meditation. My mind can’t switch off.
- Self-compassion & Acceptance – What can I say, I’m my own worst critic.
- Simple living – I’ve long since wanted to get rid of everything and travel instead.
- Productivity – Most of my days are really not productive at all.
- Contentment & Personal Vision – Points 11 and 12 should be partially achieved throughout the year. I mean, 1 to 10 are basically built ups of being more productive and content.
Anyhoot. That’s my list. I’ll touch base at the start of each month (will do the Creative mission blog this week) and do progress reports throughout the month, with a recap at the end.
Who be joining me?